Golly gosh! I really appreciate all your thoughtful comments on yesterday's post. I am so pleased I've paused to think about why I blog and how I can balance it with the rest of my life on PB. What did take me even more by surprise, though, were Mr PB's comments when I woke up this morning. He had read yesterday's post on our trusty T-Hub and said such comforting and reassuring things to me - I was really touched. So much so that I have acceded to his request to write a guest post in reply on the weekend! Anyway, encouraged by your suggestions, this is how I fared on Day 1 of bloggy rehab.
• Obsessive monitoring of my statistics. The only statistics I checked today were my number of followers (I have to work really hard on letting that go) and the number of comments that post received. That, for me, is a significant achievement. Small steps, people! I also deleted my e-mail folder containing all my blog stats. Exhale.
• Leaving the computer on all day. I turned it on at 7.30 am and checked my blog for 5 minutes. I then turned it off. Hmm, big step. Between 9.15 and 10.15, I scanned Google Reader for my favourite blogs’ most recent posts. Then I turned off the computer. I think I’ve now been sitting here for a couple of hours. I am going to bed in 15 minutes’ time.
I whiled away some pleasant hours cutting and pasting articles I’d torn out of magazines and the Herald into my inspiration journal and my recipe book. Tomorrow morning, I’ll have it finished. And a feeling of achievement will envelop me. No more piles of articles cluttered everywhere!
• I am exhausted. I’m still tired. I can’t fix things overnight. But getting to bed early is a start.
• I sit at the computer for most of the day. Nup. I didn’t today.
• I have hardly had any proper contact with my family and friends lately. I attempted to have a long overdue phone catch-up with a dear friend in Sydney but was unfortunately thwarted by the arrival of witching hour(s). I’ll ring her tomorrow.
• I haven’t read my magazine subscriptions for months. I’m going to read one of my mags tomorrow.
• I hardly read my Sydney Morning Herald anymore. I read all the front half but skipped the sport. I still don’t have the energy to concentrate on reading that yet. Still, it was much better than the desultory 5 minute scan I’ve been giving it lately.
• I haven’t done any cross-stitch for months. None today. Hopefully sometime next week, I’ll do some.
• Reduce the number of blogs to which I subscribe. I’m now down to 219, much better than yesterday’s 532.
• Unsubscribe from the dozens of search engines, blog networks, shops and other companies who send me their e-mails and newsletters. I did this for heaps of companies and websites. My inbox is thanking me for it. So is my poor overloaded brain. Exhale.
• Instead of posting most days, I think I’ll change to every 1-2 days. I’m on the case (tonight’s an exception).
• Stop purchasing e-books and downloading PDFs about blogging. None purchased. Or read, either!
• Respond to comments on my posts once a day, probably at night. Achieved. Short comment tonight.